Saturday, March 17, 2007

NFJS Day 2 : Grab-bag

(This weekend, I am attending NFJS here in StL. I'll post a full review later. For now, here are some random ideas from various sessions.)

Grab-bag

1. At NFJS, there are some amazing demos (hello Google Web Toolkit!), but I tend to remember good speakers, interactive sessions, and ideas (often from other attendees).

2. Watching someone do live hacking/demos is like watching 2 people make out. Sometimes I want to yell "get a room!" and go find my own computer.

3. On teams, individual drive leads to peer pressure, which leads to team culture, which leads to team chemistry. It all starts with you and me.

4. I attended a session on Seam, a framework by Gavin King which unifies Hibernate and JSF. It uses annotations so heavily that it is definitely "meta-programming": it is a 1980s programming language in its own right. An example:


// this is Java!
@Entity @Name("Employee")
@Table(name = "employees")
public class Employee {
@In @Out
private Address address;
@In
private Supervisor supervisor;
// ...
@Id @NotNull @Length(min = 5, max = 10)
public String getName( return name; }

@Begin
public void beginWebWizard() {
}
@End
}

No comments: