Monday, September 10, 2007

Calling Ham Radio Operators: jMorse

I recently visited a friend and colleague who showed me his ham radio gear in the basement of his house. This was a delightful surprise. Although I didn't get into it, my father has been a hobbyist forever, and my grandfather built crystal sets many years ago. The ham radio scene always seemed to have cool people who shared the same pioneering spirit as the early Netizens. (Do you remember when it was a minor miracle that you received an email from someone from across the world? Hams knew that feeling ages ago, and with a lot of homebuilt stuff.)

Bonus: my friend has a project on SourceForge for generating Morse code from input text. Check out jMorse here. I've only dabbled with it so far but it worked right from the command line. Cool stuff!

(Interestingly, this is not the same person who embedded Morse code into the comments of a production program. See previous post.)

No comments: