Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Great Tenor

I don't know much about opera or Pavarotti, but when a man can transcend that genre into the mainstream, that's saying something.

I've seen some tributes this past weekend and it only seems fitting (given the musical sub-theme of this blog), to mention the passing of Luciano Pavarotti.

I'll offer two quotes that often characterize the true virtuosos, independent of their chosen profession. I'm reasonably certain that he said the first, and I'll paraphrase the second from an interview I saw this weekend.

I'll leave the interpretation and analogies up to you.

On Modesty

Am I afraid of high notes? Of course I am afraid. What sane man is not?
On Bringing The 'A' Game

I have heard many musicians stress the importance of playing as best as one can at all times: never relent. In this interview, Pavarotti was talking about that importance and how the past was no guarantee of a given, future performance. He said something to this effect:
I treat every night as an exam. I stand before them and must do my best.
His combination of talent, charisma, and humility was extraordinary. All too late, I am starting to understand the hoopla.

No comments: